SANsymphony-V for Microsoft SharePoint
Companies are increasingly adopting Microsoft Office SharePoint Server for its ability to improve business effectiveness and collaboration. Next to their email system, employees in all kinds of professions are becoming more and more dependent on document management and workflow systems. These systems are being transformed from individual productivity tools to larger scale information repositories, as their importance and the information steadily grows they become company-wide mission-critical resources, requiring high availability and disaster recovery plans.
At the same time, the workflows enabled by these systems turn the corporate knowledge into processes supported by and eventually run by these systems. Now high availability is not enough, but a highly responsive and performing system is required to allow everyone to work with efficiency.
DataCore SANsymphony-V works with Microsoft® SharePoint to meet these mission-critical expectations by providing a resilient, yet simplified, storage architecture allowing documents and information of any kind to benefit from the capabilities of the storage hypervisor. DataCore provides solutions that are integrated with Microsoft SharePoint environments to ensure fast response times, efficient storage utilization and comprehensive data protection. In addition, powerful technologies like auto-tiering and CDP improve resource productivity and automate difficult recovery tasks, helping customers make the most of their ongoing investments in Microsoft technology.
By deploying DataCore SANsymphony-V as the storage backend to Microsoft SharePoint, multiple benefits are achieved:
Benefits of DataCore and Microsoft SharePoint
DataCore’s intelligent storage hypervisor software brings a number of benefits to Microsoft SharePoint that serve to meet mission-critical requirements while simplifying deployment and management of the backend storage resources. DataCore's storage hypervisor enhances SharePoint performance, radically improves SLAs and enables true Cap/OpEx savings.
Key benefits include:
- Increased performance – whether direct attached or offloaded in a SAN, the hypervisor utilizes advanced caching to provide the fastest possible response times, even when the backend storage hardware may not be optimal or even high performing.
- Lower storage costs – storage auto-tiering enables the combination of high performance flash and SSD to work seamlessly with large capacity, low cost storage, achieving the same or better performance.
- Simplified storage architecture — the design of the storage architecture I/O and capacity requirements is reduced; since the storage hypervisor monitors I/O requirements in real time and takes appropriate action, the architecture is less prone to bottlenecks and is not as sensitive to miscalculations or changing requirements under production load.
- Document store resiliency — DataCore SANsymphony-V can be set up to work seamlessly in the background for every storage location used by SharePoint, effectively making the entire document store highly available.
- Migration and legacy support – The storage hypervisor can easily integrate existing document repositories into the managed storage pool while providing near 100% uptime of the old system.
- Cost effective archival to Cloud storage - auto-tiering and Cloud gateway capabilities enables complete flexibility in using low cost capacity disks or 'your choice' Cloud services (eg, Amazon, Nirvanix, etc.)
- Shared resource architecture — virtualized storage allows for standardized approaches that ease the burden of planning and managing all the datacenter storage, covering not only SharePoint but also Exchange Server, SQL Server and business applications like the Dynamics and SAP families for business solutions.
Compelling Sharepoint Performance Advantage
Microsoft SQL and Exchange workloads show nearly a 5x
improvement. The physical server with internal disks was able to support 322 heavy users, while the DataCore virtualized system showed the ability to support more than 1,500 users.
DataCore and Microsoft Sharepoint Server Case Studies
Download Case Study
"The storage we had before DataCore became troublesome," commented Kane. "We were in desperate need, not only of space, but also of reliable storage," explained Chris Kane, director of technical operations, Homecare Homebase (HCHB).
HCHB is a very big Microsoft Sharepoint and SQL Server shop. According to Kane, the previous systems were just not able to keep up with the back-up planning and also the synchronization of the data. With the DataCore powered SAN in place, the virtual environment at Homecare Homebase (HCHB) has delivered real benefits to the company and system administrators alike. For instance, HCHB as a whole is able to roll out new services more rapidly and consistently. Moreover, the current databases and applications that HCHB uses internally to run its business, such as Microsoft Office Sharepoint, have all benefited - either directly or indirectly - from DataCore's storage virtualization.
Ports of Auckland
Download Case Study
“We’ve been able to support far more virtual machines and far more I/O requests than the IT team had originally expected” - Craig Beetlestone, lead systems engineer at Ports of Auckland. The company’s Microsoft Exchange email system is mission-critical, it carries the Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) communications, instructions from shipping lines and other customers, and other time-sensitive information required for port operations. Ports of Auckland, New Zealand’s leading port and cargo logistics company is also a heavy user of Microsoft SQL Analysis Services and SQL Reporting Services for business analysis and Microsoft SharePoint for collaboration.
SANsymphony-V and Microsoft Sharepoint Server Resources
Resources and tools to configure infrastructure, deploy, and install SharePoint 2013
Resources and tools to install and support SharePoint Foundation 2010 & SharePoint Server 2010
ESG Lab Validation Report: SANsymphony-V
This ESG Lab Validation documents the results of hands on testing of DataCore SANsymphony-V R8 Storage Virtualization Software. The goal was assessing the value of infrastructure-wide storage virtualization including centralized management, ease of use, capacity efficiency, data mobility, and performance.
How to Get Started
Click on one of the option below to get started with SANsymphony-V for Microsoft Sharepoint.
Contact Us Try Now Buy Now