DataCore Hyper-converged Virtual SAN – Guidelines and Prerequisites
Best Fit: This solution is ideal for application clusters where each host server provides compute, storage and networking resources and no external storage systems will be used. Examples include:
- Small server clusters in remote sites, branch offices and space-constrained rooms. You may start with as few as two servers (nodes) to achieve a highly available system.
- Latency-sensitive database applications where having storage close to the processors and caching I/Os from server memory (RAM) speeds up response. You can scale out to 64 servers.
Recommended Test Environment (non-production systems):
Install the DataCore software on 2 or more host servers in a cluster. Servers may be running popular hypervisors such as VMware ESXi, Microsoft Hyper-V or Linux KVM. Alternatively, you may use physical Windows servers with no hypervisor. Please refer to the Virtual SAN Design and Deployment Guide for guidance.
Features we suggest you try:
- Pool vacant data drives you select from each host server (except the boot drive)
- Create thin provisioned virtual disks from the pools for optimum use of space
- Share virtual disks with all the host servers in the cluster to enable live migrations, dynamic load balancing and failover of virtual machines and applications. Note: Pooled storage cannot be provisioned to hosts outside the hyper-converged system.
- Synchronously mirror virtual disks between pairs of host servers for high availability
- Automatically switch over to the mirrored copy if a host server goes down
- Accelerate reads and writes to disk by caching in the server’s high-speed memory (RAM)
- Auto-tier between flash, solid state disks and spinning disks inside the host servers
Prerequisites: Each server or virtual machine where DataCore is installed should conform to the following minimum requirements:
- Windows Server 2012 R2 License
- 2 CPUs or 1 dual core CPU [Physical or virtual x86-64 processors]
- 4 GB RAM available for DataCore software
- Boot drive with 20 GB available disk space for DataCore software installation
- 1 virtual iSCSI port for connection to the virtual machines hosting applications
- 1 virtual iSCSI port for synchronous mirroring between DataCore servers
- 1 Ethernet port (1 Gb/s) for internode management communications
- 1 XGA Monitor with 1024x768 or higher resolution
- Keyboard and mouse
- One DataCore license is to be activated on each host server that will be contributing storage to the pool or using storage from the pool.The trial download includes four (4) temporary DataCore licenses that expire 30 days after activation.
Back to Download