Combines File Shares Distributed Across Campuses and Hybrid Clouds for Easy Access, Optimal Capacity Use, Scalable Throughput, and High Availability
The rapidly growing number and diversity of storage systems and locations make file sharing, collaboration, and data placement increasingly challenging. Plus, the recurring restructuring of file shares every time space runs low upsets users and disrupts applications.
DataCore vFilO solves these problems by creating a scale-out global file system across distributed sites spanning on-premises and cloud-based file shares. Previously isolated folders spread across different systems roll up under a single global namespace for convenient access from any location via NFS and SMB protocols. The vFilO software pools resources from discrete filers at each site, making optimal use of their capacity and horsepower.
vFilO continually load balances, safeguards, and migrates files between active primary filers and secondary S3 object storage based on site-specific policies. The software-defined architecture offers the unique flexibility to incorporate existing NFS NAS and file servers into virtual pools. The filers can be nondisruptively expanded and replaced over time with new devices of your choosing based on cost, performance, and other preferences.
- Increased visibility and control of scattered data
- Complete hardware-independence and flexibility
- High operational efficiency
- Simplified file access, sharing, and collaboration
- Non-disruptive data migration between NAS/ filers and cloud/object storage
- High data availability
- Lower storage costs
Automatic Data Placement
vFilO automates the near-impossible task of juggling where files should be relocated to in order to satisfy business intentions, despite constantly changing conditions. The system administrator simply sets a few high-level objectives that guide how files meeting specific (or broad) criteria should be treated. Parameters including file type, aging, access frequency, ownership, and origin can drive data placement. These parameters help vFilO choose between fast and cheap storage, on-premises and the cloud, or the number of copies necessary to meet resiliency, performance, and governance goals. Its AI/ML algorithms regularly sweep the metadata and assess the fluctuating state of the hardware in order to align files with those goals. Even when archiving files from active primary tiers to secondary S3-compatible cloud/object storage, the directory structure remains intact. There’s no need for IT intervention to retrieve them.
Multi-Site Global Namespace
The vFilO global file system extends beyond a single campus. Once-isolated shares housed in different facilities are combined under a single namespace, making file sharing and collaboration extremely easy. Regularly-accessed files may be stored locally for the fastest response, whereas infrequently used ones appear local, but are retrieved behind the scenes from remote locations. This approach significantly reduces the capacity required. Files transferred between sites are also deduplicated and compressed in a cloud or object storage intermediary to reduce data transmission and space consumed. Only metadata is synchronized regularly to ensure that all users have the latest view of the global catalog.
Key Features / Data Services
Several hands-free, file-granular services provided by vFilO dynamically govern data mobility, durability, and availability. They include synchronous mirroring between active filers on the same cluster, asynchronous replication between sites and to cloud/object storage, automatic data migration and rapid snapshots/clones. Archives placed on cloud/object storage are globally de-duplicated and compressed, yet remain accessible, as do recently deleted files.
*FOR INACTIVE FILES PLACED ON OBJECT/CLOUD STORAGE
Visibility & Control
- Organize widely scattered files under a single namespace for convenient access by apps and users
- Measurably improve productivity and collaboration across sites with easier file sharing
- Fulfill data governance obligations through policies for data placement and protection
- Integrate new technologies into your infrastructure without expensive forklift upgrades
- Benefit from a location and device-independent approach to expansion and modernization
- Place data where it makes most sense, traversing sites and hardware architectures
Efficiency & Simplicity
- Fully exploit available storage assets by pooling their resources and load balancing across them
- Recover time lost from manually shuffling files and backing them up
- Avoid disruptive and time-consuming data migrations
- Scales from 50 TBs to multiple petabytes with billions of files in a single namespace
- Scales up and out to 40 data service nodes per site
- Up to eight sites can participate in the global file system