Are you struggling with protecting and providing access to rapidly scaling data sets or enabling distributed content-based use cases? Using tape is cost-effective but data is not instantly accessible; and tape is difficult to manage. The public cloud often presents the challenge of compounding, unpredictable recurring costs, and the inability to meet local performance and privacy requirements.
DataCore Swarm provides an on-premises object storage solution that radically simplifies the ability to manage, store, and protect data while allowing S3/HTTP access to any application, device, or end-user. Swarm transforms your data archive into a flexible and immediately accessible content library that enables remote workflows, on-demand access, and massive scalability.
- Provides a scalable platform that can continually evolve by pooling any mix of x86 servers, HDDs and SSDs with 95% data storage capacity
- Automates storage and infrastructure management so a single system/IT administrator can manage dozens to hundreds of PBs
- Includes a web-based UI and API simplifying the management of hundreds of nodes, billions of files, thousands of tenants, and PBs of data
- A scale-out parallel architecture enables all nodes to perform all functions resulting in the ability to scale performance linearly
Horizontal & Industry Use Cases
Media & Entertainment
A content-focused platform enabling secure file distribution, access and tape replacement
Multi-tenant S3 storage that streamlines collaboration and accelerates time to discovery
Scalable medical image archive and patient record management
Secondary storage platform to eliminate storage silos and manage unstructured data growth
Operational and workflow efficiencies for private, public and hybrid cloud data storage
Safeguard data, ensure data integrity, and meet compliance requirements
NEP The Netherlands
We chose Swarm because it was the most flexible platform for us and had good per-terabyte licensing. We started with 100 TBs and now have over 1.25 PBs across 200 nodes from different hardware vendors. Swarm is a key component to deliver that high-end quality service that NEP has always aimed for.
We could just plug a new node in and it would boot itself up automatically. There was no prep work. We had no OS installs. We could migrate disk groups between nodes and Swarm would decide if the disk was part of the node or not and move it around to the correct node.
British Telecommunications (BT)
Scalability is one of the slickest things about Swarm, one sweet thing they did with the platform is, when you drop a new node in, it builds itself from the ground up. The new node announces itself to the main controller. If you want to add a 72 terabyte or petabyte node you just drop it in.
- Unified web console for admins and end-users to track performance trends and mange/monitor content usage quotas
- Simplify capacity addition and hardware refresh with self-managing and self-healing architecture
- Stream content directly from the storage layer to internal employees or external subscribers
- Optimize data protection for performance or capacity through lifecycle policies
- Quickly search for data, customize metadata, and access files across a single namespace through S3/HTTP, NFS and SMB
- Easily manage thousands of tenants and billions of files across multiple sites and unlike devices
- Back up cold data from Swarm to Wasabi, S3 Glacier and object-based cloud and tape storage solutions
- Secure data through encryption, access controls, and integrity verification
The figure below highlights the various data and infrastructure management capabilities of DataCore Swarm including key data services, access methods and supported protocols. Explore features in detail.
*NFS ACCESS IS SUPPORTED THROUGH SWARMFS.❘ **SMB ACCESS IS SUPPORTED THROUGH DATACORE FILEFLY.
Store, Manage and Protect Your Unstructured Data on Swarm Hyperscale Object Storage Platform
Benefits of Swarm Object Storage
Rapid Recovery25X less down-time than traditional RAID storage
Superior Optimization95% storage utilization for media and content
Performance Ready5X faster throughput for S3 read and write operations
Simplified Content Management
- Intuitive data classification, indexing, and dynamic search
- Policy-based replication for synchronous, asynchronous and stretch cluster uses
- Custom metadata for ad hoc search & query
- Share or stream files directly from the archive
Bulletproof Data Security
- Supports data encryption in transit and at rest
- Assure data immutability with Legal Hold, WORM integration, and S3 object locking
- Establish content integrity using Integrity Seals
- Track storage access and activity with audit trails
- Manage tenants, buckets, domains, and quotas
- Integrate with existing identity management systems such as LDAP, AD, ApacheDS, Linux PAM, token-based S3 and SSO/SAML 2.0 platforms
- Create detailed billing and accounting reports by domain based on bandwidth usage, access audits, etc.
Business Continuity and DR
- Maintain an always available active archive to retrieve data on-demand
- Increase data durability through erasure coding and replication at the cluster- or object-level
- Automatic failover and recovery
- Automated backup to Wasabi or Amazon Glacier for DR
- Start with just one server and easily add capacity and performance as required
- Expand to exabyte level storage with web-scale search and data access
- Add disks and server hardware of your choice to the Swarm cluster
- Extensible architecture supports Amazon S3 API and other third-party APIs
Cost Savings and Lower TCO
- High automation optimizes the utilization of resources, administrative time and budget
- No downtime hardware upgrades enable ability to continuously evolve underlying hardware
- Industry-leading 95% capacity for your data
- Energy savings through adaptive power conservation for disks
Integration and Deployment Options: Build Your Storage The Way You Want
There are various methods for integrating Swarm object-based storage into your workflows based on your requirements. Access Swarm directly from any application that supports the S3 API like DataCore vFilO. Integrate Swarm into any application via the Swarm API based on HTTP 1.1. Use the SwarmFS interface (included with Swarm) for file conversion via NFS or SMB to Swarm. Or, add Swarm as a secondary tier of storage and offload data from Windows Server, NetApp or Dell EMC Isilon to Swarm via DataCore FileFly. In addition to the various methods of integration DataCore Swarm offers flexible deployment options.
Bare Metal Deployment
Boot from bare metal on any x86 server using any mix of HDDs and SSDs.
Deploy Swarm on virtual machines (VM) running on VMware ESXi or KVM.
Packaged Hardware Appliance
Contact DataCore for more information on packaged solutions from our partners.
Use DataCore FileFly to Easily Offload Files from SMB Shares on NAS Devices and Windows Filers to Swarm
Simple, transparent, and flexible licensing based on useable storage capacity in TB or PB across all of your Swarm instances.
Swarm object storage solution is typically used as an active archive, backup target, cloud storage, and content analytics and delivery platform. Licensing is the same regardless of what type of data is stored and managed and what use case Swarm is used for. Every Swarm term license includes Premier Support (24×7) and free product updates.
- Cost-effective term licensing (annual and multi-year licenses are available)
- Scale capacity as needed
- Price per TB goes down as consumption grows
- Volume discounts on total capacity in use apply
- Governmental and educational organizations are eligible for additional discounts
White Papers & Case Studies
Get Started with Swarm, Software-Defined Object Storage
Store your growing data on scalable & secure active archive. No more insane cloud costs!
Join thousands of IT pros who have benefitted from DataCore solutions.
“Scalability is one of the slickest things about Swarm. One sweet thing with the platform is when you drop a new node in, it builds itself from the ground up. If you want to add a 72 TB or PB node you just drop it in.”